Monday, January 18, 2010

Forest Fairies

It's done.......after 6 years, I finally finished cutting out the reverse embroidery appliques.

And when I was done, I sat there and thought about all the things that have happened in the last 6 years of my life. When I started this quilt, my youngest son was not even a year old yet.....now he's in 1st grade. When I started snipping away at these appliques, I was just getting used to being a stay at home mom of three sons under the age of 8. This past month, I just reentered the work force full time and my oldest is taking entrance exams for high school.

Over the past 6 years, I've buried friends and family.....some of them way before their time should have come. I had surgery for the cochlear implant and learned to hear all these amazing sounds that most people take for granted on any given day. I joined a mini quilt group and made friends with a fantastic group of women. My husband continues to support my interests, listen to what I say, and be my best friend.

I've had all the usual ups and downs one experiences in the course of living life. Tonight when I cut out that last applique shape I realized something. I realized that sometimes, it's good for a project to move along slowly because you can mark the passage of time as you stitch away and reflect on all that has been while looking forward to all that is to come.
kathy

No comments: