Monday, February 7, 2011

Wonky Churndash

I was playing around and decided to have a go at making a wonky churn dash.
I followed the instructions in Gwen and Freddy's book, "Collaborative Quilting" except I changed the size of the finish block. My block is 9 1/2 inches......here's what I did....

First I cut out my fabric.....I cut:


Five 3 1/2 inch squares of the background fabric.

Then I cut:


Two 4 inch squares of the churn dash fabric. I cut it again on the diagonal to give me four half triangles.

Then I cut out:


Two 3 by 18 inch strips- one from the background and one from the churn dash.

Then it was time to sew!!!

Place your churn dash triangle on the corner of the background square like so.....


There is no specific points to line up....the whole point is that is looks wonky!

Stitch using the triangle edge as your guide using a 1/4 inch seam.

Press the triangle towards the background square. It should completely cover the corner.

Flip the square over and it looks like this:


Use the edges of the square as a guide and cut off the extra churn dash fabric.

Like this:


Make a total of four of these and set aside.

Then sew the two long strips together. Press the seam, it does not matter which way you press it.

Then it's time to cut again!

Angle your ruler like this:


Again exact placement is not important here, you are just going for the general idea.

After the first cut, it looks like this:


Now cut four pieces that are 3 1/2 inches wide. They look like this:


If the last one is a little short, that's ok......see mine was!


Now flip the section like this:


Square up one side of the shape like so:


Turn and cut the other side so the unit measure 3 1/2 inches square.


Now lay out all the pieces......


And sew them together.......you made a wonky churn dash!!!

I am going to make a few more of these tonight and then post them so you can see how none of them turn out the same way. That's the charm to this technique!

Have a great day!!!!!

kathy

1 comment:

PattiKake Quilts said...

Great pics; I think after seeing your post that even I can be a "wonky churn dasher"! thanks